It’s crazy how people and events can turn your life around. Sometimes it can trigger a painful and unbearable ugly side of your past that you don’t want to rekindle. A blast from the past that causes you too much fear and suffering. It can be a thing that made you remember how sorry and frustrated you are to be the kind of person you’re not proud of. It can deepen the scars and make you regret the things you didn’t do. You’re lonely, sad, and unhappy that sometimes you wish to fall asleep and never wake up from the real world that brought you chaos and tears.
There’s nothing wrong if you feel unhappy and unsatisfied with your life. Humans are emotional and we are gifted to feel and experience all these kinds of emotions, however, we shouldn’t dwell and dive into so much negativity and sadness. It is normal to feel unhappy. It is normal to feel depressed. It is normal to feel unloved. It is normal to have regrets. It is normal to have doubts and fears. It is normal to have sad impressions, but, it’s not worth your time crying and drowning yourself in loneliness.
You need to take control and take action to renew and be a happier version of yourself. These are the ways I did to make myself a happier me. It did create something wonderful that reminds me I deserve to be happy in this world.
1. Love yourself – it is really difficult to feel happy and contented with your life when you don’t accept who you really are. Everyone has flaws and imperfections, yet, you need to embrace everything about yourself to be truly happy. No one knows you more than you know yourself. Treat your body like a temple and a precious stone. Do something daily that your future self will thank you for. Only you can push yourself to be happy. Only you can stand up and fight for your rights and opinions. Only you can make a difference in your life and in the world.
2. Count your blessings – sometimes because of too much unhappiness you felt within, you are blinded by the beauty of your surroundings. You somehow miss seeing the opportunities in front of you. You don’t appreciate the small things that are significant to you. You forgot to be appreciative and take for granted the things that you already have that you’ve prayed for before. All that you see is the adversity and the things that you don’t have. Just try to wake up and say a prayer, and be grateful to be alive. You are given another day to see the beauty of the world and another day to make things right. Be thankful that you have your family. Be thankful that you are blessed with friends and opportunities. Be thankful that you are experiencing the difficulties in life that taught you to be wise and strong.
3. Stay motivated – unhappiness leads to powerless and laid back personality. You always feel exhausted and disheartened to try new things. You end up sleeping the whole weekend, eating unhealthy foods, worrying, and compassionless. Cut this negativity by self-affirmations and positive self-talk. Start reading inspiring and motivational books that will help you feel good about yourself. Listen to positive audiobooks that will boost your energy and improve your mental health. I watch and listen to provocative and admiring videos, instead of watching the news or listening to sad songs that will just stir up my misery.
4. Make peace with yourself – you live in despair and chaos because of your choices and unforgiving heart. You choose to be sad, miserable and relentless. Why not forgive the people who hurt you and caused you so much pain? Forgive your loved ones who disappointed and betrayed you. Forgive your partner for not treating you right. Forgive yourself for being grim and heartbroken. Forgive yourself for not seeing opportunities. Forgive yourself for not loving yourself. Forgive yourself for disappointing yourself. Forgive yourself for doubting your soul. Forgive yourself for letting others take advantage of your kindness. Forgive yourself for being stupid and stubborn. Forgive yourself for settling for less. Forgive yourself for neglecting your health. Forgive yourself and forget the things that make you feel sorry and unhappy. One can only attain happiness when one learns to forgive.
5. Have a good night sleep – sleepless nights can trigger anxiety and mood swings. No matter how hard you try it will always be difficult to start your day right when you don’t get enough sleep. Your brain doesn’t function well and you feel terribly tired even with less movement. To have a better sleep, one must learn how to calm their thoughts. You shouldn’t eat heavy meals and have those late workouts before bedtime because it will disrupt your sleep. Meditate, tone down the brightness of your phone, and be consistent with your body clock. Try to discipline yourself and watch out for your sleep patterns to have a good rest and make your next day happy and productive.
6. Set a goal – people get disappointed for not achieving their dreams. They get sad and depressed for being hopeless and a complete failure. You can have a happier perspective in life when you set a SMART goal. Happiness is achievable when you tie your dreams to a goal and not to people or to too many expectations. Accomplishing small short-term goals promotes productivity and pleasure. You will have clarity and defined thoughts and actions that will make your dreams come true. It is important to have a short term and long term goals and reading and visualizing them on a daily basis. A goal will guide you in the right direction of life that will lead you to be the best version of who you are.
7. Have a regular exercise – “exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy”. You can beat unhappiness by moving and by trying low intense activities. Walking for 30 minutes daily promotes a better mood and can lessen the stress in your body. Regular exercise proves to make a person happy and healthy physically and emotionally. Don’t just sit for hours in the office and watch TV all day instead add short workout routines to make yourself feel better.
8. Celebrate achievements – you work late nights just to meet your reports deadlines and reach that sales quota. You delay self-gratification and discipline yourself from buying unnecessary wants. You study hard and get that scholarship you really wanted. You are a good father, a good mother, a good son and daughter to your family and provide financial support and a comfortable life to them. All these wonderful and amazing things are made possible because of your patience, determination, and perseverance that needs to be celebrated. It doesn’t matter if it is a small or big achievement, what’s important is you learn how to celebrate and reward yourself from time to time. It is not always about work and reaching your goals, it is also about you and the effort you put through just to make it happen. Find time to treat yourself for your accomplishments and never take for granted these small wins as these are the keys to your happiness.
9. Take a trip – it is essential for people to take a time off to unwind and ease the heavy loads they carry from working too hard and worrying. Travel doesn’t need to be expensive and exhausting, sometimes, all you need is a calm break from the hustle and bustle of the city. Take that long overdue trip you ever wanted. Book the flight and hotel that you think would make you feel at ease and happy. Unplug from the crowd and social media, and reunite with nature to fully recuperate from troubles and worries. Travels make life exciting, blissful and purposeful.
10. Help others – one key to personal happiness is by extending our hands to our community. You can volunteer to different activities within your community, and donate any kinds of goods and services to the needy. It doesn’t matter the value of the things you will give or the amount of time you will spend helping. It’s about being able to be part of something meaningful that will benefit the people who are in need. Helping others is proven to ease anxiety, reduce stress and alienation. It makes you feel good, valuable and creates a meaningful life.
If you have questions, tips, or want to add something from the list, please let me know in the comments. I would love to hear from you, and let’s share the different ways to be happy to more people.